A. Thomas McLellan, Ph.D., Joins CRC Health Group Clinical Advisory Board
March 11, 2013 – (CUPERTINO, Calif.) – CRC Health Group, the nation’s largest provider of behavioral health and addiction treatment services, announced today that A. Thomas McLellan, Ph.D., has joined the company’s Clinical Advisory Board. The industry veteran becomes the 13th member of a distinguished group of experts and professionals tasked with providing guidance as the company develops its cutting-edge treatment delivery system that encompasses the latest innovations and research, the “CRC Treatment Model.” The full Clinical Advisory Board is scheduled to meet at the end of this month.
“We are delighted that Tom is joining our Clinical Advisory Board,” said Philip Herschman, Ph.D., Chief Clinical Officer for CRC Health Group. “He brings an extraordinary knowledge base that will further our efforts to become the leader in clinical excellence.”
Dr. McLellan is a 35-year career researcher in addiction who has published over 400 articles on the topic and has received numerous distinguished awards for his contributions to the field. He is the CEO and co-founder of the Treatment Research Institute (TRI), a non-profit organization dedicated to developing and providing evidence-based solutions to the devastating problems of substance abuse affecting families, schools, businesses, courts and healthcare. From 2009 to 2010, he was Senior Scientist and Deputy Director of the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP). At ONDCP, McLellan worked on a broad range of drug issues, including formulation and implementation of the President’s National Drug Control Strategy and promotion of drug treatment through healthcare reform. Dr. McLellan is the recipient of several distinguished awards including the Life Achievement Awards of the American and British Societies of Addiction Medicine, the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Innovator Award, and awards from the Swedish and Italian Medical Associations.
“CRC is one of only a few organizations that has the resources to transition substance abuse treatment into mainstream healthcare,” said Dr. McLellan. “I am happy to help them bring about the full potential from effective, comprehensive care.”
The CRC Clinical Advisory Board was created in 2011. Each Clinical Advisory Board member has experience in behavioral health and/or addiction treatment or research; their expertise and guidance help drive CRC Health Group’s vision of becoming the recognized industry leader for clinical excellence. The full list of Clinical Advisory Board members includes:
- Dr. Kathleen T. Brady, MD, Ph.D., Professor of Psychiatry at the Medical University of South Carolina, Researcher
- Dr. Thomas J. Brady, MD, MBA, Medical Director of Villa Fairmont Mental Health Rehabilitation Center, Medical Director of Sausal Creek Outpatient Stabilization Clinic, Behavioral Health Consultant
- Lee T. Feldman, Co-Chair & Chief Scientific Officer of Integrya, Executive Director and Member of the Managing Board of The Institutes for Human Security
- Dr. Marc Fishman, MD, Medical Director of Maryland Treatment Centers, Member of the Psychiatry Faculty at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Current President of the Maryland Society of Addiction Medicine
- Dr. Michael T. Flaherty, Ph.D., Founder of IRETA (Institute for Research, Education and Training in the Addictions)
- Dr. Norman G. Hoffmann, Ph.D., President of Evince Clinical Assessments, Adjunct Professor of Psychology at Western Carolina University
- Jim Hudak, MPP, Chief Executive Officer of Paradigm Management Services
- Four-Star General Barry R. McCaffrey, MA, Former Director of the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy, President of BR McCaffrey Associates LLC
- Dr. A.Thomas McLellan, Ph.D., CEO and Co-founder of the Treatment Research Institute (TRI)
- Dr. Cardwell C. Nuckols, MA, Ph.D., Author, Former Clinician, Program Director and Hospital Administrator
- Dr. David Powell, PhD, CCS, LADC, LMFT, President of the International Center for Health Concerns, Inc. and the Clinical Supervision Institute, Author of Clinical Supervision in Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counseling
- Dr. Ian A. Shaffer, MD, MMM, CPE, President of Behavioral Health Management Solutions, LLC
- Gerald Shulman, MA, MAC, FACATA, President of Shulman & Associates, Training & Consulting in Behavioral Health
About CRC Health Group
CRC Health Group is the largest and most comprehensive network of specialized behavioral care services in the nation. CRC Health Group offers the largest array of personalized treatment options, allowing individuals, families, and professionals to choose the most appropriate treatment setting for their behavioral, addiction, weight management and therapeutic education needs. CRC is committed to making its services widely and easily available, while maintaining a passion for delivering advanced treatment. Since 1995, CRC programs have helped individuals and families reclaim and enrich their lives. For more information, visit www.crchealth.com.